to the Trumbull Historical Society Street Scenes from an Earlier Trumbull Photo Page. Click on any picture below to view it in a larger size.
"The Bunny Fountain"
A symbol of the Nichols section of Trumbull, the fountain
was originally deeded to the Nichols Improvement Association (N.I.A.)
in 1895 by Mrs. Annie Peet in fulfillment of the wishes of her
late husband, John Benjamin Peet who died before his plans for
the fountain were achieved. The original fountain shown here
was topped with a kerosene street lamp and provided watering facilities
for horses, dogs and humans. Originally the fountain was placed
right at the point of the Nichols Green. In the early 1930's, after
cars replaced the horse, the watering fountain was converted into
the decorative bunny fountain, complete with decorative rabbits,
mushroom and cattails. This landmark sits at the corner of Unity
Road and Huntington Turnpike in Nichols near Nothnagle Field.
Old Church Hill Road
A turn of the century look up Church Hill Road from Trumbull Center.
The dirt road seems to be pretty devoid of the homes that today
line this street. The old Town Hall, now the Helen Plumb Building,
is shown on the right. The place where the train tracks crossed
at Tait Road are evident by the sudden bump in the road. A corner
of the Trumbull Center train station can just be seen jutting
out from behind the old Town Hall.
Plowing Snow - Winter of '33
These men seem to be having a good time clearing the snow off
Church Hill Road in the winter of 1933. The old Town Hall and
the railroad stationmaster's house are shown.
Winter in Long Hill
This picture of the northwest corner of the Long Hill Green was
probably taken in the early 1900's. Ruts carved by horses and carriages
in the snow can be seen. The large white building in the very
far background could be the Hubbell Hadley shirt factory.
Lower Long Hill School and Morgan Chapel
These buildings stood on the corner of Lake Avenue and Main Street.
The old school house closed in 1920, and has since been moved a
short distance up Lake Avenue and converted to a private residence.
Morgan Chapel, an early Methodist Church built in 1857, was sold
in 1911 and served as an auto garage and grocery store before
it was torn down in 1969.
Lower Long Hill School
This is another picture of the Lower Long Hill School. The caption on the enlarged
picture refers to Main Street as "Long Hill Street."
Buggy Ride on Riverside Drive
Looking south, a horse and carriage stroll along Riverside Drive.
The dammed area of the Pequonnock River shown here was called
Saw Mill pond. The dammed water reserve was used to provide water
power for a saw mill operation on Whitney Avenue. Whitney Avenue
during this period was called Saw Mill Road. The bridge in the
background was the Pequonnock River bridge on old Saw Mill Road.
A bucolic late 1800's scene of Teller Road,
before the curve in the road was straightened. After the construction of the Route 25
highway, much of Teller Road was re-routed. Some of the old road,
across from the entrance to Indian Ledge Park, joined with
Riverside Drive to create a new "U shaped" road, while a new section of Teller
was created just west of Katz's pond.
View of Broadway in the 1800's. Looking north from the corner
of Whitney Avenue and Broadway. Toucey's underwear factory is
seen in the background.
Long Hill Green
The eastern half of the Long Hill Green where Broadway and Whitney
Avenue intersect is shown.
The Bridgeport Turnpike
The caption on this picture reads "Along the Bridgeport Turnpike
at Long Hill." Today's Main Street has had a number of name
changes. Many of us remember not that long ago when today's RT.
111 was designated as RT. 25 and then later RT. 25A. Main Street
has also been called the Newtown Turnpike, Long Hill Street and
Along the Bridgeport Turnpike
Another old photograph titled "Along the Bridgeport Turnpike."
Exactly where I'm not sure - perhaps near Middlebrooks Avenue.
Email me if you have any ideas.
Main Street - North of the Long Hill Green
Looking South on Main Street, the crude bridge that runs over Jacob's
Brook (sometimes mistakenly referred to as Farrar's Brook) can be seen
in the foreground. This small stream was fed by the large swamp that at one
time existed where the Governor's Ridge Condominiums stand today. In the
1970's, blasting ruble from the construction of the new Route 25 expressway
along the Pequonnock Valley was used to fill in this large wetland.
The Long Hill Store
Geo. H. Smith's general store (formerly Hurd's Supply Store), on
the north end of the Long Hill Green along with the Federalist
period house that stood just to the right of it. The period seems
to be in the 1920's.
Early Traffic Jam
Cars pass the shopping district of the Long Hill Green.
Long Hill Green Monuments
Wooden posts used for displaying new ordinances and notices were
commonly erected in places such as the village green in rural
areas. The purpose of this wooden monument may have been for public
notices, or it could have been placed there to commemorate Trumbull's
WW1 veterans. In 1926 a monument made from a large native stone
was placed on the southern end of Long Hill Green to replace an
earlier wooden one.
Main Street, Long Hill
Looking North on Main street in Long Hill. Today, the residence
on the right side of the photograph is the Corner Deli, a local
neighborhood store on the corner of Main and Elizabeth Street.
Zamary's Grocery Store
A picture of the store on the corner of Main and Elizabeth Street.
The store has had undergone several different ownership's over
the years. Perhaps the Zamary family owned the store when this
picture was taken.
Motoring Along on Main
All fueled up and off again to explore some more of Long Hill,