Trumbull's Time Line
by Wayne Sakal
220 Million Years Ago
Trumbull was located on the earth's supercontinent. At this time there was only one continent on the face of the earth called Pangaea. As you glance at a world map, have you ever wanted grab some scissors and fix the globe. Like a jig-saw puzzle the islands and continents of the globe can be cut and pasted together. The continents of the world have been moving away from one another. This process is called "plate tectonics".
200 Million to 64 Million Years Ago
Geologist's refer to this time as the Mesozic Era. This era was divided into three periods: Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous. It is sometimes refered to as the "Age of Dinosaurs" or "Age of Reptiles". A better term for this period is to just call it "Jurassic Park".
64 Million Years Ago return to the time line
About sixty-four million years ago give or take a few million years, there is a period refered to as the CT or KT boundry. This is the separation between the Cretaceous Period and the Tertiary Period. This is when the dinosaurs vanished, the Cretaceous-Tertiary (KT) Extinction point. 75% of all animal species became extinct along with all land animals with an adult weight of over 55 lbs. Mike Gaffey at Rensselaer has come up with eleven extinction theories. The one that fits the story best is a "Cosmic Catastrophe" where the Earth was hit by a massive asteroid/comet. This impact resulted in the possible mass extinction. It is like the dinosaurs were here in Trumbull on Monday, but Tuesday, they were gone!
64 Million to 10 Million Years Ago
return to the time line
After Jurassic Park closed down, this was known as the Tertiary Period where we saw a gradual cooling of the climate here in Trumbull.
1,000,000 Years Ago return to the time line
A global cooling begins that will bring Trumbull to the start of four Ice Ages. This is called the Pleistocene Period. The planet will experience a drastic freeze for the next 400,000 years.
600,000 Years Ago return to the time line
This is when the first glacial Ice Age reached its maximum. This was called Nebraskan. A global warming then started which reduced the ice sheets by 536,000 years ago. This first interglacial period was called Aftonion.
476,000Years Ago return to the time line
This is when the second glacial Ice Age reached its maximum. This was called Kanson. A global warming then started which reduced the ice sheets by 320,000 years ago. This second interglacial period was called Yarmouth.
230,000 Years Ago return to the time line
This is when the third glacial Ice Age reached its maximum. This was called Illinoian. A global warming then started which reduced the ice sheets by 170,000 years ago. This third interglacial period was called Sangamon.
115,000 Years Ago return to the time line
This is when the forth glacial Ice Age reached its maximum. This was called Wisconson where Trumbull was under a 1,000 ft of snow and ice. About 25,000 years ago the last Ice Age ended as the climate began to warm. We are presently still in this interglacial period.
25,000 Years Ago return to the time line
End of the last Ice Age in Trumbull. The sheet of ice is removed from Trumbull. Climate began to warm to set the stage for man to enter Trumbull.
11,000 YBP - 10,000 YBP return to the time line
The first emergence of man in this area refered to as Paleo Big Game Hunters. They lived a nomadic lifestyle hunting the large game herbivores that thrived in the cool climate of the post-glacial tundra. Paleo Man left when the big game animals such as the mammoth, mastodon and caribou died out. Stone tools such as spears were developed.
10,000 YBP - 8,000 YBP return to the time line
This period is known as the Early Archaic Period. Man turned from hunting to hunting and gathering. Stone tools such as spears were used.
8,000 YBP - 5,000 YBP return to the time line
This period is refered to as the Middle Archaic Period. Stone tools such as axes were developed.
5,000 YBP - 3,700 YBP return to the time line
The late Archaic Period saw a warming of the climate. Hardwood forests covered Trumbull. Hunting in Spring time while planting/gathering in the Summer. Spear throwing developed which increased hunting efficiency. Stone knives were developed along with domestication of animals.
3,700 YBP - 2,700 YBP return to the time line
This is the Terminal Archaic Period. Larger stone blade tools were developed along with stone bowl technology. Pottery from local clays. Trade developed with other tribes. Projectile points were also used.
2,700 YBP(700 BC) - 1500 AD return to the time line
This period is called the Woodland Period. Pottery was improved along with projetile points. The bow & arrow and smoking pipes were developed. Domesticated crops were also developed.
1500 AD - 1599 AD
return to the time line
Native Americans never developed a written language nor moved out of the stone age. European explorers, fishermen and fur traders made contact with the Native Americans in the 1500's
1582 Gregorian Calendar is created by Pope Gregory XIII (1572-1585). This is the calendar that Trumbull will use. There is no record of any type of calendar used before this period.
1600 AD - 1699 AD
return to the time line
1606 King of England granted the Virginia Company of Plymoth colonization rights.
1639 Settlement of Cupheag by 17 familes from the Connecticut Colony at Wethersfield under the Leadership of Rev. Adam Blakeman is established. This Settlement will claim lands in Trumbull
1642 The Town of Stratford is established which Trumbull is a part of.
1660 Trumbull surveyed.
1662 May 14th; Joseph Judson received the land of Trumbull as a gift from the Pequonnock Indians.
1670 Richard Booth surveyed land to be the boundary of Trumbull.
1671 May 25th, Pequonnocks and Paugusett Indians renounced any
claims to the land surveyed to be Trumbull.
1690 First permanent settlements by Abraham Nichols.
1696 First Highway is built. Called The Farm Highway (Nichols Avenue).
1700 - 1799
return to the time line
1702 A grant for a sawmill was given to James and Edmound Lewis & Ebenezer Curtis.
1703 Sawmill built at Mischa Hill.
1704 Agreement signed for a gristmill on the Pequonnock at the Narrows below Eass Pond is given to John Williams and John Seely.
1705 Trumbull Center settlement established.
1722 Gideon and Hawley given permission to rebuild the mills.
1923 Gristmill is built on the Pequonnock River near Trumbull Center.
1725 Farmers petitioned to the General Court for privileges to set up a village called "Unity". First deed to property called "Saganywamps" (Old Mine Park) by John Hurd.
1728 John Edwards becomes the 1st settler in the Chestnut Hill district.
1730 Nov 18th, First Congregational Church/Meeting House built with a membership of 38.
1731 Unity Cemetery is established.
1740 John Edwards granted petition for Long Hill to be established as a settlement.
1744 Parishes of Unity & Long Hill are united to become North Stratford.
1747 2nd Congregational Church built.
1757 Feb. 21st, 1st mention of minerals at the site that will become known as "Old Mine Park"
1764 Long Hill Burial Ground established.
1765 Eliakim Beach's Tavern built by Eben Hawley as a colonial mansion for his new bride.
1766 Tashua Burying Ground established.
1767 Eben Hawley dies leaving behind a mortage debt of § 1,135 held by John Hancock. This home will be owned by Eliakim Beach (1751-1821).
1777 April 27th, Lieut. Ephraim Middlebrook died in defence while serving the Continental Army under Gen. Benedict Arnold at the Battle of Ridgefield.
1779 Benjamin Silliman (1779-1864) is born in Trumbull.
1797 Oct 12th, General Assembly granted Trumbull permission to be establashed as a town. Nov. 20th,Passed by General Assembly for Trumbull to be established as a town.
return to the time line
1800 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,291.
1802 Riverside Cemetery is established.
1807 Dec. 14th, meteorite strikes Tashua Hill in Trumbull at 6:30 AM. A 36 1/2 pound stone was recovered by Benjamin Silliman to be placed on display at the Peabody Museum of Natural History.
1810 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,241.
1818 Ephraim Lane took rock samples from Trumbull to Professor Benjamin Silliman of Yale College who identified them as Tungsten and Topaz.
1820 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,232.
1827 Fairchild's Paper Mill was set up along the Pequonnock near Fairchild Park.
1830 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,242.
1831 Elliot Beardsley opens a tavern in Long Hill.
1833 US Coast and Geodetic Survey established a triangulation station on Tashua Hill.
1836 Tait's Paper Mill was built a half mile north of Trumbull
Center. The mill produced paper and strawboard. He would later sell his property to BHC. Alfred Bishop obtained a charter for the Housatonic Railroad. Pinewood Lake is constructed by James Bunnell.
1837 Manual labor of the Housatonic RR begins with 300 men at a cost of $936,000.00
1840 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,240. Feb. 11th, Housatonic Railroad makes its maiden journey through Trumbull.
1842 3rd Congregational Church built.
1844 Town contracted to use the basement of the Congregational Church as a "Town-House" for an annual rental fee of $20.
1850 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,309.
1852 Oct. 4th, Nichols Farm School established.
1854 Aug. 30th, Long Hill School established
1856 Nov. 21st, White Plains School established.
1857 Mar. 28th, Daniles Farm School established. Morgan Chapel built.
1859 Dec. 20th, Chestnut Hill School established.
1860 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,474.
1862 Eliakim Beach's Tavern purchased by the Town of Trumbull to serve as the Town Hall.
1865 August 15th, Train wreck near the Pequonnock Mills at 11:20 AM. 11 killed and 27 insured.
1866 After the close of the Civil War, Trumbull organized a company of the National Guard, Company C, 8th Regiment with volunteers. The churh basement was used as an armory.
1870 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,335.
1871 Dec. 15th, National Guard, Company C, 8th Regiment is disbanded.
1872 Blacksmith and Carriage Shop by Wesley Coan on Strobel Road.
1873 Trumbull's 1st High School is established. the Beach Hill School, a private boarding school.
1878 Parlor Rock Amusment Park opens.
1880 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,325.
1881 November, property purchased from Plumb for first town-house. August 30th, Northbound Milk Train collided with a Southbound excursion train near Parlar Rock. Richard Bristol was killed instantly.
1882 Gabler's Cigar Factory built.
1884 Burroughs' Cider Mill built.
1887 Dr. Adolph Gurlt, Professor of Geology at the University of Bonn, Germany makes an examination of the Trumbull mining site.
1888 Blizzard of 1888 blanks Trumbull with several feet of snow.
1890 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,453.
1893 Dec. 28th, Radcliffe Woolen Mill caught fire and burns down at 4 PM.
1894 Elliott Beardsley ordered a clock manufactured in Boston to be offered to the church. The church refused the gift. He then placed it on his barn.
1895 June 4th to 1926 the Bunny Fountain established. Trumbull Town School Committee came into existence when all district schools are consolidated.
1896 Bridgeport Hydraulic Co. purchased Pinewood Lake and surrounding acres to be used as a reservoir.
1897 July 22nd, George M. Nichols is murdered in his home by Charles Boinay. Tungsten Mining & Milling Company is established.
1898 April 14th, Charles Boinay is executed at Wethersfield Prison for the murder of George Nichols. April 20th, Third Congregational Church burns to the ground. Parlor Rock Amusment Park closes.
1899 4th Congrefational Church built after 3rd church burns to the gound on April 20th.American Tungsten, Mining & Milling Co. issued $100,000 bonds for a building program, including a large milling plant.
return to the time line
1900 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,587. USGS geologist William Hobbs visits the mining complex and describes the mining and milling procedures. Hobbs' description suggests taht the American Tungsten Mining and Milling Company did not follow the recommendations Professor Gurlt made in 1887, helping to cause the mine's failure.
1901 Sept. 30th, A 5:00 AM Train Wreck. Engineer Holt from Southbound
was dozing at full speed struck the Up-freight North bound by
Eddy Burns about 1,000 feet south of the Long Hill Station. Five killed.
Holt survived the crash but lost his arm.
1904 Kaatz Ice House began operations. Long Hill Green purchased from Emeline Hall for $25.00
1905 July 5th, last mills are washed away in the flood.
1906Tungsten Mining & Milling Company declared bankrupt because they could not separate the Pyrite from the Tungsten ore.
1909 Bus service begins in Trumbull. Bridgeport to Long Hill.
1910 Census shows Trumbull's population at 1,642.
1912 Fred Beach organized the Long Hill Mining Co.
1913 Grasshopper Trolley begins service into Trumbull from the Bridgeport RR Station.
1916 May 21st, A fire of suspicious origin completely destroys all buildings of the Long Hill Mining Company, on the site of the Tungsten Mining & Milling Company.
1917 Jan 23rd, Nichols Fire Department founded.
1919 Grasshopper Trolley ends service into Trumbull from the Bridgeport RR Station. Nicholes Fire Company is Created.
1920 Census shows Trumbull's population at 2,597. Ben Plotkin purchased the Pinewood Lake area from the Bridgeport Hydraulic Co and turned it into a resort for swimming, golfing, tennis and horseback riding. A clubhouse was built with a revolving stage.
1921 Long Hill Fire Company is Created.
1923 Jan. 2nd, Trumbull Center Fire Company is created.
1925 Feb, Steam Engine abandoned. Trumbull Center Fire Company is Incorporated.
1926 Honor Roll for WWI veterans erected on the Long Hill Green.
1929 Edison School is built (1929-1979). Nichols Library is opened.
1930 Census shows Trumbull's population at 3,624.
1932 Jan 17th, Railroad abandoned.
1934 St. Teresa's RC Church is established. A train traveled through Trumbull during the Blizzard.
1935 Due to the blizzard, the last train to travel through Trumbull leaves town as construction of the Merritt Parkway through Trumbull begins.
1936 Hawley Library is opened.
1937 When mining operations became unprofitable the owners of the
Tungsten/Long Hill Mining Company allowed the 61 acre property to revert to
the town as Old Mine Park.
1939 Police Department is formed. Merritt Parkway section of Trumbull opens.
1940 Census shows Trumbull's population at 5,294.
1944 Jan. 23rd, Two airmen Lt. Rodney L. Stokes of Liberty, Mississippi and Sgt. Julis G. Skygerg of DeSmet, South Dakota were
killed in an airplane crash at Indian Ledge Park.
1946 Nov. 8th, Beach's Park is opened as a memorial to Robert Beach who in 1944 gave his life in WWII.
1950 Census shows Trumbull's population at 8,641.
1951 May 30th, Memorial Flag Pole dedicated to Richard Moore Jr. at Beach's Park.
1953 Unity park is purchased from the state. Midlebrook Jr. High School is establised.
1955 Jane Ryan School and St. Teresa's School established.
1960 Census shows Trumbull's population at 20,379. Trumbull High School is erected on Madison Avenue
1961 Eliakim Beach Tavern disassembled and moved to Darien, Connecticut. The parcel of land that will become Twin Brooks Park is purchased form the Outhouse Family.
1962 St. Stephen's School established.
1963 Construction begins on the Trumbull Shopping Park. St. Joseph's High School is established.
1964 Trumbull Historical Society Established.
1970 Census shows Trumbull's population at 31,294.
1974 Witch Hazel Factory burns down.
1978 May 18th, Kaatz Icehouse is demolished. September 10th, Trumbull EMS Headquarters is established
1979 Edison School is demolished.
1980 Census shows Trumbull's population at 32,989.
1986 Feb. 20th, Nomination for the David Mallet House to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1987 Aug. 20th, Nomination for the Nichols Farm Historical District to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1989 Dec. 29th, BHC sells 382-acre tract of land to the Town of Trumbull for a cost of $9,275,000. This area will be called Pequonnock River Valley. August-Trumbull Little League wins World Championship.
1990 Census shows Trumbull's population at 32,016. Dec. 13th, Nomination for the Old Mine Park Archaeological Site to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1996 Town starts Bicentennial Celebration, May 27th, A rededication ceremony takes place for the two airmen killed in the 1944 plane crash. Memorial reads "Let the Passing Sounds of Aircraft be an eternal tribute to those who have served our country".
1997 Time capsule will be placed under the Bicentennial Fountain
2000's return to the time line
2064 The Centennial of the Trumbull Historical Society will be celebrated
2097 The Bicentennial Time Capsule will be dug up for the Tricentennial.
2100's return to the time line
2164 Trumbull Historical Society will celebrate their Bicentennial.
2197 Most likely a Tricentennial Time Capsule will be dug up.
2200's return to the time line
2264 Trumbull Historical Society will celebrate their Tricentennial.
2297 Trumbull will celebrate the 500th Anniversary of its founding.
Trumbull Historical Society - PO Box 312 - Trumbull, CT 06611
Copyright © 1964 - 2013 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED